Universal Credit

If you experienced a drop in your income because of the Covid 19 crisis, you may be entitled to Universal Credit to help with your living costs or your housing costs (paying rent).

Universal is a benefit that can be paid, whether you are in work or out or work or are self-employed. 

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a benefit that replaces many older benefits, such as:

  • Child Tax Credits
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-Based Employment Supporters Allowance
  • Housing Benefit

If you are already still in receipt of any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything.

If you experience a change of circumstances you have to report it to the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) and your local Authority, where you are in receipt of Housing Benefit.

You may be contacted by the DWP about being migrated over to Universal Credit. 

Who can get Universal Credit?

Universal Credit can normally be applied for if you are out of work, or your are on a low income and:

  • You are over 18;
  • you or your partner are under the State Pension Age;
  • You or your partner have less than £16,000 in savings;
  • You live in the UK.

The fact you are employed, or self-employed does not stop you from applying for Universal Credit. Likewise, you may still get Universal Credit, even if you are in receipt of other benefits, such as Statutory Sick Pay, New Style Job Seekers Allowance or New Style Employment Support Allowance.

Universal Credit does not help you with mortgage payments.

You can find out if you are entitled to Universal Credit by using a benefit calculator.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.